You can get private treatment abroad for any medical condition, provided you can pay for it. This could include treatment abroad in a private specialised hospital, by a clinic or state hospital abroad. It could also include dental treatment, cosmetic surgery and orthopaedic surgery, gynaecological surgery, fertility treatment or vein varicose treatment.
Why go for private treatment abroad?
You might want to get private health treatment abroad when:
- you want to choose the date for the surgery. By going abroad you can choose to have your treatment quicker
- there’s a long waiting list and you don’t want to wait. In general, you should receive surgery within 4 weeks, but this often tends to be longer
- if you wish to be treated by a consultant of your choice. You will be able to pick a doctor who is an expert in the field of medicine, not one who just started to practice
- the treatment that you need isn’t available in your country. For example, for cosmetic surgery, dental treatment, fertility treatment or vein varicose treatment
- you want a second opinion on treatment,
- health screening is not available, but abroad cost for a full body checkup can be done in one day, and it can be combined with your short city break.
Things to know about surgery abroad
Before getting private treatment abroad, you might want to think about:
- whether you can afford it. The cost is likely to be very high in some private clinics, but abroad the same or even better service is available for fraction of the cost – 50% or even -80%
- whether you would like to have just private treatment abroad or you would like to combine it with holidays;
- chose a specialised private hospital or chose multidisciplinary hospital abroad that could deal with any complications;
- patients who received treatment abroad in the EU are entitled to aftercare in their home country after private treatment if they live in the EU or EEA.
How to get private health treatment abroad
To find a private medical clinic abroad you could:
- make your research, and decide your possible destination country;
- contact Medrefund LTD and ask for advice, as we do work only with the best clinics in the country and in doctors. Clinics that offer medical tourism service are usually providing high-quality service and going the extra mile;
- look on the internet and ask a question you are concerned about;
- contacting Medrefund prior to treatment could reduce your cost even more as part of the costs could be refunded by your state system.
Charges at a private clinic abroad
You should ask clinics abroad what the charges will be in advance and what would be included. Private treatment abroad can include a full package that would include all starting from flight, accommodation, surgery, aftercare, or just treatment. Clinics usually do not charge more if an operation takes twice as long as it should.
We can check with your state system if the treatment you are planning to receive is refundable. The first sight that you can have private treatment abroad paid for by the state system is that you are on the waiting list.
Private clinic abroad has a legal duty of care towards you. This means that in an emergency, they must take reasonable steps to provide necessary treatment, even if this hasn’t been agreed upon in advance. You might not be charged for it if you have a European Health Insurance Card, and receive treatment in the clinic that accepts it.
If you go to a private hospital abroad
When you go into a hospital for a private operation abroad, you will not be charged separately:
- your surgeon consultation;
- an anaesthetist service;
- accommodation, meals, laundry, nurses, drugs, medication, X-rays and blood tests.
Savings for having treatment abroad
The actual cost savings you can make by having private treatment abroad will vary depending on the procedure you want and the country you want to go to. Many popular treatment destinations offer savings of half or even more.
Why private treatment abroad is cheaper
Private treatment abroad is cheaper because their costs of service are lower. The wages paid to the specialists and private clinic staff abroad can be far less than those paid in some wealthier countries. It is far less expensive to run a private clinic abroad than it is to run one of a similar standard here in wealthier countries, so clinic abroad does not cut their prices they don’t have to charge as much for their services.
Why do patients go abroad for treatment?
There is more than one reason depending on diagnosis, required treatment, costs and others, these reasons include:
• Costs of private treatment abroad – private treatment abroad can often be found at a fraction of the price.
• No waiting times – by travelling you can get treatment significantly sooner. And in some cases get a refund for general surgery abroad.
• New surgery treatments – state systems often offer the cheapest available surgery, but in private clinics abroad you and your doctor can choose the best available service
• Specialist services – private clinics abroad tend to offer specialised medical staff and medical equipment. Cause if you are paying you are expecting high-level surgeons and that is what private medical clinics abroad do offer
• Service is not available – there is more than one treatment for the same diagnoses and we think you should be given a choice, and so do the EU, now you can choose specialists and clinics abroad and your state healthcare system will have to partly or fully cover costs of treatment according to EU directive.
Why choose a private clinic abroad
- Costs will be lower and by lower
- You can combine holidays with treatment
- Possible refund
- Treatment quality abroad is the same or even better
- Guaranteed aftercare.