You can save money and time by opting for orthopaedic surgery abroad as costs abroad for orthopaedic treatment are lower than in Ireland private clinics, and there are no waiting lists. As a rule, the cost of surgery abroad is lower than in Ireland. Orthopaedic surgery in Ireland can be very expensive, and in many EU countries, the same procedure can be found at a fraction of the cost.
What are the savings of having private surgery abroad
The actual cost savings you can make by having surgery abroad will vary depending on the procedure you want and the country you want to go to. Many popular treatment destinations abroad offer savings of 50- 80% compared to the cost of private orthopaedic surgery in Ireland.
Other costs besides costs of the treatment itself
There are more costs to surgery abroad than just the cost of the procedure itself. You need to fly and pay for your stay, and you may also need to consider these costs for a person that goes abroad with you. Private medical can offer complete packages, that will include arranging flights, accommodation and your aftercare holiday break, all for one set price. You can arrange your trip and then you will need to consider all the costs of flight, transfer, accommodation and meals.
Private orthopaedic clinics abroad usually offer package deals that would include transfer to and from the airport, orthopaedic surgery, after-operation care, and stay at 3 or 4-star hotels for you and the person who accompanies you.
Cost of orthopaedic surgery in a private clinic abroad:
- ACL reconstruction is starting from 3000 EUR,
- knee endoprosthesis is starting from 5500 EUR,
- arthroscopy surgery is starting from 2500 EUR.
Even if the total cost of orthopaedic surgery for your treatment is greater than having the treatment in Ireland’s private clinic, it may still be worth considering as part of your holiday plans as it will cover part of your trip. In addition, HSE allows you to bypass the HSE queue for orthopaedic surgery, by reimbursing the costs of treatment, if you receive private treatment abroad. So actual costs for surgery will be much lower than planned.
Cost of treatment in a private clinic abroad after HSE refund:
- ACL reconstruction is starting from 700 EUR,
- knee endoprosthesis is starting from 900 EUR,
- arthroscopy surgery is starting from 600 EUR.
Why surgery abroad is cheaper?
Some orthopaedic surgeries abroad are cheaper because their costs of service are lower. The wages paid to orthopaedic surgeons and private clinic staff abroad can be far less than those paid in Ireland. It is far less expensive to run a private clinic abroad than it is to run one of a similar standard here in Ireland, so clinics abroad cut their prices so they don’t have to charge as much for their services. Orthopaedic service will be provided in high quality and by the best orthopaedic surgeons. In addition, if you opt to go abroad HSE might refund you up to 100% of the cost of surgery.
Why did patients choose to go abroad?
There is more than one reason depending on diagnosis, required treatment, costs and others, these reasons include:
- Costs of surgery – treatment abroad can often be found at a fraction of the price in Ireland.
- No waiting lists –HSE are having long waiting lists for treatment, but by travelling you can get treatment significantly sooner. And in some cases get a refund for treatment abroad.
- New surgery treatments – HSE often offers the cheapest available orthopaedic implant, but in private clinics abroad you and your doctor can choose the best available implant.
- Specialist services – private clinics abroad offer specialised orthopaedic surgeons and well-educated medical staff the newest medical equipment. In situations when you are paying for service, you are expecting a high-level orthopaedic surgeon and that is what private medical clinics abroad do offer. And who would not want to be treated by the same doctor who has operated on professional athletes?
Orthopaedic surgery can be covered by the HSE and can be refunded if orthopaedic surgery is received in a private clinic abroad. Orthopaedic surgery abroad could be an alternative you can afford.