Skip to content

Healthcare abroad claim made easy

Living in the Republic of Ireland? Planned or unplanned treatment abroad? Make your claim!

Pick a country you live in.

Private treatment abroad refunded by the HSE is possible. If it was planned or even an emergency you can still make a claim.


Planned Healthcare abroad in the STATE system

You are not able to access the treatment in Ireland you require and would like to go abroad? With S2 form it is possible.

S2 / E112 ROUTE

Emergency treatment abroad in the STATE system

Received emergency treatment in the EU/ EEA  or the UK and did not have your EHIC with you. You can still get a refund.


healthcare abroad claim for medical treatment in Europe

Going abroad for medical treatment?

If you reside in the Republic of Ireland and have either undergone or are considering seeking medical treatment abroad for example EU, EFTA, or UK member state, it is crucial to understand how the process works and the associated risks. Failure to follow the proper procedures may result in having to bear the full cost of treatment.

Different funding options exist based on the country you plan to visit, the type of treatment you need, and the foreign clinic or hospital where the procedure will be performed. It is essential to weigh the benefits and drawbacks of each option before making a final decision. Medrefund can help you navigate the complex process of obtaining funding for your planned treatment abroad and ensure that you receive the high-quality medical care you need at a reasonable cost.

Emergency treatment abroad with European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) grants you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in any of the 27 EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland, under the same conditions and at the same cost as people insured in that country (which may be free in certain countries).

The EHIC is accepted by all clinics and hospitals that offer state-funded healthcare. However, there may be situations where you do not have your card with you or an administrative error prevents you from using it. In such cases, you may have to pay for the treatment out of pocket. At Medrefund, we can help you navigate the complexities of seeking medical treatment abroad and assist you in securing the necessary funding for your planned procedure.

European Health Insurance Card claim Ireland healthcare abroad claim with EHIC
Healthcare abroad claim made easy with out healthcare abroad claim.
EU directive route private healthcare abroad.

EU directive route

The EU Directive offers a path for individuals residing in the Republic of Ireland to seek healthcare in another EU member state, which may be eligible for reimbursement by the HSE. If you qualify for treatment coverage by HSE, you may be entitled to seek medical treatment in a European Economic Area (EEA) country (excluding Switzerland) and apply for a refund. However, the amount refunded by the HSE will be limited to the cost of equivalent treatment that the HSE would pay to a hospital, and may not cover the entire expense of the procedure.

By utilizing the EU Directive route, you may have the opportunity to receive your treatment sooner. At Medrefund, we can help you navigate the reimbursement process and ensure that you receive the maximum allowable refund for your planned treatment abroad.

Planned Healthcare abroad in the state system (The S2/E112 route)

The S2 route provides a potential avenue to secure HSE funding for planned state healthcare treatment in an EU country or Switzerland. To be eligible for an S2 application, you must meet the following criteria:

  1. The treatment requested must typically be offered to an individual in your situation in the Republic of Ireland.
  2. The requested treatment must be accessible under the host country’s state healthcare scheme.
  3. The HSE cannot provide treatment within a justifiable time frame.

If your S2 application is approved, you will receive treatment under the same care and payment terms that would apply to local residents of the country where the procedure is performed. At Medrefund, we can assist you in navigating the S2 application process, ensuring that you meet all eligibility criteria and receive the maximum allowable funding for your planned treatment abroad.

make the S2/E112 route claim healthcare abroad claim for treatment in state system

Positive: Professionalism ,  Quality ,  Responsiveness ,  Value

Maciej Przyjemski Avatar Maciej Przyjemski
April 9, 2021

Positive: Professionalism

Ewa Laudon Avatar Ewa Laudon
May 9, 2021

Polecam współpracę z Medrefund, pełen profesjonalizm 👍

Michal Dybinski Avatar Michal Dybinski
July 9, 2021

Let’s work together on your
next healthcare abroad claim

Pick a country you live and we can help you to access state-funded treatment abroad.