If you’re living in Norway and looking for orthopaedic treatment, you might be faced with long waiting lists and high costs. However, by opting for orthopaedic surgery abroad, you can save both time and money. Private clinics abroad offer orthopaedic treatment at a fraction of the cost compared to Norwegian private clinics, and there are no waiting lists.
If you are a resident of Norway and have a referral for treatment from your general practitioner, you may be eligible for a refund of your medical expenses incurred during your treatment abroad through HELFO, the Norwegian Health Economics Administration. The refund can cover up to the amount that the same treatment would have cost in Norway’s public healthcare system. To apply for a refund, you need to submit an application with the required documentation, such as receipts and medical reports, to HELFO. The application process can take some time, but it can be worth it to receive a refund for your medical expenses incurred abroad.
Benefits of Private Orthopaedic Surgery Abroad for Helfo Patients
Private orthopaedic clinics abroad usually offer package deals that include transfer to and from the airport, orthopaedic surgery, after-operation care, and a stay at 3 or 4-star hotels for you and your accompanying person. The actual cost savings you can make by having surgery abroad will vary depending on the procedure you want and the country you want to go to. Many popular treatment destinations abroad offer savings of 50-80% compared to the cost of private orthopaedic surgery in Norway.
Other costs besides the cost of the treatment itself
There are more costs to surgery abroad than just the cost of the procedure itself. You need to fly and pay for your stay, and you may also need to consider these costs for a person that goes abroad with you. However, private medical clinics abroad can offer complete packages that include arranging flights, accommodation, and your aftercare holiday break, all for one set price. You can arrange your trip yourself and then consider all the costs of flight, transfer, accommodation, and meals.
Why Choose Orthopaedic Surgery Abroad for Helfo Patients?
Orthopaedic surgeries abroad are often cheaper because the costs of service are lower. The wages paid to orthopaedic surgeons and private clinic staff abroad can be far less than those paid in Norway. Private clinics abroad can cut their prices so they don’t have to charge as much for their services. In addition, private clinics abroad offer specialized orthopaedic surgeons, well-educated medical staff, and the newest medical equipment.
Surgery Costs for Helfo Patients Abroad:
- ACL reconstruction starting from 3000 EUR ≈ 31,000 NOK
- Knee endoprosthesis starting from 5500 EUR ≈ 57,000 NOK
- Arthroscopy surgery starting from 2500 EUR ≈ 26,000 NOK
Cost of treatment in a private clinic after HELFO refund:
- ACL reconstruction starting from 700 EUR ≈ 7,200 NOK
- Knee endoprosthesis starting from 900 EUR ≈ 9,300 NOK
- Arthroscopy surgery starting from 600 EUR ≈ 6,200 NOK
Why do Patients Choose Orthopaedic Surgery Abroad?
There is more than one reason depending on diagnosis, required treatment, costs, and others, these reasons include:
- Costs of surgery – Treatment abroad can often be found at a fraction of the price in Norway.
- No waiting lists – By travelling abroad, you can receive treatment significantly sooner and in some cases, get a refund for treatment abroad.
- New surgery treatments – Private clinics abroad offer the best available implants, and you and your doctor can choose the best implant for your needs.
- Specialist services – Private clinics abroad offer specialized orthopaedic surgeons and well-educated medical staff with the newest medical equipment. When paying for service, you expect a high-level orthopaedic surgeon, and that’s exactly what private medical clinics abroad offer.